Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Uhhhhhh......??? (6.5 creed)

So, couple things. First, I got a four die lee set and my decapping pin is too big for the flash hole in my lapua brass. I can’t find a replacement on their site, where do I go?

Second, my seating die is making that groove ring in the top on my bullet, any fixes??

Lastly, I already fixed it but I included a picture of my second brass that was crumpled for your amusement. (There goes a dollar haha)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Take the decapping pins out and insert in a drill and run them through sand paper to make them smaller. That's what I did with the set I had. Also, run your brass through the neck size die to set the neck tension. If the seating die is leaving a ring like that, it's because the neck tension is too high.
    "Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCoyote View Post
    Take the decapping pins out and insert in a drill and run them through sand paper to make them smaller. That's what I did with the set I had. Also, run your brass through the neck size die to set the neck tension. If the seating die is leaving a ring like that, it's because the neck tension is too high.
    Awesome! I’ll try that with the pins!

I actually just tried that and the ring became very much less prominent but it’s still their. Lee said they make a custom bullet seating plug so hopefully that’ll help to eliminate the ring. Thanks for the help!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by logan.engle View Post
    Awesome! I’ll try that with the pins!

I actually just tried that and the ring became very much less prominent but it’s still their. Lee said they make a custom bullet seating plug so hopefully that’ll help to eliminate the ring. Thanks for the help!

Also clean the annealing residue off, it will remove the extra friction. A 30 minute tumble will get it off. I also dip my bullets base in dry neck sizing lube (graphite) to make seating way smoother.
    "Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    Did you chamfer the inside of the neck? It's hard to tell from the photo. I use a VLD chamfer tool for these types of bullets. I use the Redding Premium 6.5 Creedmoore die set and it had a smaller decapping pin that worked great with the Lapua brass. Neck tension was perfect with both the full length and neck dies. Their seating stem fit the 143 ELDX's very nicely and left no marks. If your looking for precision, this set up worked well for me and was much less expensive than the competition stuff.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a 338 Lapua that looks almost similar to what you have. One of the first reloading pulls I made. As for the ring around the top, it almost looks like the die is to small, I would think it would hit it a little further down on the bullet.

Title
    Premium Member
    I had this issue, and ordered smaller decapping pins for my universal decapping dies. However, chucking the expander assembly into a drill and sanding it worked for my other dies.

As for the indentation idk, I agree that it looks too far up on the bullet...

Keep us updated on your progress solving the issue, I would love to know what you figure out!